|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
In this vicinity, on the south bank of the Ogeechee River, George Galphin established his trading post early in the 1750´s, near an Indian settlement long known as "Old Town." It was here, in 1785, that the Treaty of Galphinton was signed. In this treaty the Creek Indians ceded to the State of Georgia the land between the Altamaha and the St. Mary´s Rivers. It was later repudiated by the Creeks under Chief Alexander McGillivary.
George Galphin, who came to this country from Armagh, Ireland, about 1750, was a man of great influence among the Indians. He served as Commissioner of Indian Affairs under the Colonial Government, and Galphinton was an important center for trade and negotiations with the Creeks. His own residence, Silver Bluff, where he died in 1780, was located on the South Carolina side of the Savannah River.
GHM 081- 15 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION
Replaced by 81-16