|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Florida
The Bayshore Boulevard of Dreams
Emelia and Chester W. Chapin of New York settled in Tampa in 1891. The Chapins were instrumental in helping develop the bay shore and the city of Tampa. They purchased 110 acres of land three miles south of the city limits of Tampa. On October 12, 1892 the Chapins formed the Consumers Electric Light and Street Railway Company. This new trolley car system was completed in 1893, and provided service throughout the community. Emelia Chapin´s personal trolley car, Fair Lady, was built so she could shop, entertain friends and travel to the Ballast Point Pavillion. On December 14, 1898, the Consumers Electric Light and Street Railway Company´s dam was destroyed by dynamite. The company never recovered from this major financial setback. On October 2, 1899, the company was purchased by a Boston syndicate, Stone and Webster, who formed the Tampa Electric Company. When the new company assumed control, the city´s trolley system, including the Bayshore tracks, included 21.5 miles. The Chapins sold all of their remaining properties, never to return to their city of dreams.
Tampa Historical Society - 1996
City: Tampa, FL