Historic Markers Across Georgia



Wynnton Community



Marker ID:  
Location: 1251 Wynnton Rd, Columbus, GA
County: Muscogee
Coordinates: N 32° 28.001    W 084° 58.438
  32.46668333    -84.97396666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Wynnton Community



The area of central Columbus known as Wynnton was actually one of the city’s first suburbs.

Located just two miles east of downtown, the community sprang up after several country estates were built by wealthy citizens in the area along the route of what is now Wynnton Road. These included some grand homes that remain Columbus landmarks today: The Woolfolk House (1832), The Elms (1834), The Cedars (1836), The Wynn House (ca. 1834), and Dinglewood (1859). Starting around 1900, these estates were divided into the single-family residential lots that give the community its look today.

Around 1860, nearly 1,500 people called Wynnton Village home, ranking it among the 20 largest towns in Georgia at that time. After a streetcar line from downtown reached Wynnton in the 1880s, development rapidly increased. Particularly influential in this building boom were real estate investors John F. Flournoy and Louis F. Garrard, who sold many of the lots on which fashionable homes were constructed in the area between about 1890 and 1940. While few current Wynnton businesses date to this period, most are located on the sites of former residential lots. Wynnton formally became a part of the city of Columbus through annexation in 1925.


Captions:

2025 Thirteenth Street

1487 Harmony Drive

The Wynnton area contains several historic districts featuring homes ranging from antebellum Greek Revival mansions to 20th-century Craftsman, Tudor Revival and Spanish Revival-style homes.
From Architectural Styles of Our Town: Columbus, Georgia by Marilyn Laufer and Garry Pound

Wynnton School, established in 1843, contains the oldest building in continuous use as a school in the state of Georgia. The original school building now serves as the library for the Wynnton Arts Academy.
Courtesy of the Historic Columbus Foundation

Dinglewood
Gift of Mrs. J.E. Chapman 1964.396.1

Downtown Columbus streetcar line transfer station, ca. 1905
Museum purchase made possible by the Evelyn S. and H. Wayne Patterson Fund 2006.44

Map from the 1925 city plan of Columbus showing the route of the trolley line through Wynnton
Gift of Jerry Mulenix 2010.15.1



A photo of this marker can be found on HMDB.org



 

 

106-A135