Historic Markers Across Georgia



Marietta Campground



Marker ID: Cobb 
Location: At the Marietta Campground on Roswell Rd. at Sewell Mill Rd.
County: Cobb
Coordinates: N 33° 58.433    W 084° 28.980
  33.973883    -84.483000
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4FVH
Marietta Campground  Marker  



Text:

Marietta Campground

The campground was established in 1837 at the recommendation of a Methodist "circuit rider" who traveled to serve many churches. The original 40-acre site was purchased for $40.00 and included the land now occupied by the church and cemetery across the street. The tabernacle was built in 1838 and cabins were added later. Although services have been held every year, camping was discontinued for a brief period during and after the Civil War. As members of other churches joined in, meetings became nondenominational. Descendants of the founding families and newcomers alike have continued the tradition of coming together for spiritual refreshment and renewing social contacts.

Erected by Cobb County 2008



 
Notes:

History of Camp Meeting (1837 - Present)


Cobb County Historic Preservation Commission - Source Information

 

033-CC8