Historic Markers Across Georgia

Camak House: Landmark in Georgia Railroading

Marker ID: GHM 029-10
Location: Meigs and Finley Streets, Athens, GA
County: Clarke
Coordinates: N 33° 57.574    W 083° 23.022
  33.959566    -83.3837
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2V2
Camak House: Landmark in Georgia Railroading Marker  


On March 10, 1834, a group of Athens men met in this house, then the home of Mr. James Camak, to accept the charter of the Georgia Railroad Company and to organize the corporation. At this meeting Mr. Camak was elected its president, and he soon began a tour of the State building up interest in the railroad and explaining its purpose. Camak served as president for two years and played an important part in blazing the way for the future success of the company. The Georgia Railroad Company was incorporated by an act of the legislature in 1833 and empower "to construct a Rail or Turnpike Road" from Augusta to Eatonton, Madison, and Athens. It was during Camak´s administration, in 1835, that the charter was amended to change the name to Georgia Railroad and Banking Company and to authorize the company to conduct a banking business. The Georgia [Railroad] is the oldest railroad in the State operating under its original charter.

By 1847 the main line from Augusta to Atlanta, as well as a branch line to Athens, had been completed. the company continued its banking activities until 1892, at which time a subsidiary, Georgia Railroad Bank, now Georgia Railroad Bank & Trust Company, was formed to conduct the banking business.