Historic Markers Across Georgia

Armstrong Junior College

Marker ID:  
Location: In yard of old college building, Bull and Gaston Sts, Savanna
County: Chatham
Coordinates: N 32° 4.227    W 081° 5.715
  32.07045    -81.09525
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWBA
Armstrong Junior College Marker  


Armstrong Junior College was founded on this site May 27, 1935 by the City of Savannah undr the guidance of Mayor Thomas Gamble. The college was named for George Ferguson Armstrong (1866- 1924), a native of Guyton, Georgia, who had this house constructed as his residence. Armstrong was nationally recognized for his maritime ingenuity as Strechan Shipping Company. He held membership in the Cotton Exchange and the Oglethorpe Club. He was a member of the First Baptist Church and was respected for his civic dedication and philanthropy. To honor him, Luct Camp Armstrong Moitz and her daughter Lucy Armstrong Johnson gave Armstrong House to the City of Savannah.

This granite and glazed brick, Italian Renaissance mansion was designed by architect Henrik Wallin and built 1916- 1919. Olef Otto was general contractor. Classes began in September 1935 with 175 students in what The Atlanta Constitution called ´the finest and most costly junior college in the United States.´

In 1959 Armstrong College became a part of the University System of Georgia and was desginated a four-year institution in 1964. Two years later Armstrong State College moved to a new campus in southside Savannah. Historic Savannah Foundation preserved the property. The mansion was acquired in 1970 by members of the law firm of Bouther, Williams & Levy.

[Erected by City of Savannah]