Historic Markers Across Georgia

Old Fort Wilkinson

Marker ID: DAR 
Location: Rock Hill Road east of Vinson Highway (County Route 112), Milledgeville, GA
County: Baldwin
Coordinates: N 33° 2.735    W 083° 12.599
  33.04558333    -83.20998333
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: None


Old Fort Wilkinson
Where Treaty of Limits Took Place
Between the United States and
Creek Nation of Indians
June 16, 1802, ratified Jan. 11, 1803
The treaty was signed by James Wilkinson,
Benjamin Hawkins, Andrew Pickens, Commissioners
on the part of the United States and
Forty Chiefs and Warriors

Nancy Hart Chapter, DAR, 1917
Milledgeville, Georgia


Fort Wilkinson, built in 1797, was the first fort (other than those of Elijah Clarke) on the west side of the river. It was proposed as a trading post so that the Creeks would not have to cross the river into white territory in order to trade.

The fort was not used for military action. It was an important step in developing friendly relations with the Indians. In 1803, a treaty was signed at Fort Wilkinson which created three very large counties: Baldwin and Wilkinson in the Oconee region, and Wayne in South Georgia. These would later be subdivided into other counties. In 1917, the Georgia Legislature gave five acres of land on the site of Fort Wilkinson near the Oconee River to the Nancy Hart Chapter. On June 19, 1917, the Chapter erected and unveiled a bronze tablet embedded in a granite boulder.

Source: DAR – Nancy Hart Chapter - Forts