Civil War in Georgia - Lat34North; Header


Civil War Historic Markers Across Georgia

The Civil War in Georgia as told by its historic markers.

 



Battle of Tilton

Beginning on 1864/10/13 and ending 1864/10/13


Tilton, Georgia, located 90 miles north of Atlanta was a depot on the Western and Atlantic Railroad. The depot was garrison by 300 men of the 17th Iowa Veteran Volunteer Infantry, under the command of Lt. Col. S.M. Archer, U.S. Army. On Oct. 13, 1864, part of Maj. Gen Samuel French´s Division of Stewart´s Corps, Confederates Army of Tennessee, attacked the garrison in Tilton. Many of the garrison took refuge in the blockhouse just north of the town. Selden´s Battery, brought into action, battered the blockhouse and, after a battle that lasted several hours, the garrison surrendered.

 

 

Roll over pushpin to display title
Click on pushpin for marker text
Click on + or - to zoom in or out
Drag map to move it

Marker Display Option:
All
Start Date
10/13/1864
End Date
10/13/1864

Map legend
Federal
Confederate
USA & CSA
other

 

 

 

 

Links to Civil War Historic Markers Across Georgia.

 

Battles of Tilton
The Chase and a Battle