|The American Civil War in Georgia 1861-1865 |
Latitude 34 North
|Civil War Battlefield Monuments|
|Georgia Historic Markers|
|Historic Marker DB|
|GA Civil War Markers|
|GA Civil War Markers|
|Georgia Battlefields Association|
|GBA - Endangered Sites|
|GA - Battlefield Profiles [PDF]|
|Georgia Historical Society|
|Chronology of the Army of the Cumberland|
|The search for every marker|
|The Civil War, Part 1: The Places|
This site has links to hundreds of Historical Markers.
|Don Hogan´s Blog|
After being stopped at Pickett´s Mill Gen. Sherman shifted his army to the east to rejoin the railroad. He ordered Capt. Poe to rebuild the bridge over the Etowah River so that his supply trains as could once again catch up with his army. On June 9, federal forces occupied Big Shanty (Kennesaw) which was used as a supply base during the operations in the Kennesaw area. The bridge was rebuilt by June 10. Major general Francis P. Blair arrived with two divisions with 9,000 veteran troops of the XVII Corps.
This move forced General Johnston to once again fall back. The Confederate forces fell back south of the Big Shanty (the town of Kennesaw), where they formed a new line that stretched about 12 miles from Brushy Mountain in the east to lost Mountain on the west. This line is sometime referred to as the first Kennesaw Line. General Hood held the right wing anchored at Brushy (also called Brush) Mountain extending west across the railroad where he joined General Polk’s line. General Polk left join the right of Gen. Hardee´s line, which was anchored on the left at Lost Mountain. The Confederate right was screened by Wheeler´s Calvary and its left was screened by in Jackson´s Calvary.
he highest point between Lost Mountain and Kennesaw Mountain was Pine Mountain and about 1.25 miles north of the main Confederate line. Bate’s division, of Hardee’s A.C. fortified and held Pine Mountain as an outpost. On June 14, Generals Johnston, Hardee and Polk rode to Pine Mountain to observe the federal lines and their movements to decide if the outpost should be abandoned. A shot fired from the Federal 5th Indiana battery struck and killed General Polk. The confederates withdrew during the night. Major General William Loring became the acting commander of Polk’s Corps.
On June 15th, the Federal 23th Corps struck Hardees line at Pine Knob with the 20 A.C. attacked at Gilgal Church. Neither attack succeeded in driving the confederates from their main intrenchments, but they did force the confederate skirmisher to fall back and allowed the Federal troop to gain a foothold near the confederate lines. During the night of the 15th Hardee pulled back to Mud Creek (sometimes spelled Mudd).
Roll over pushpin to display title
Click on pushpin for marker text
Click on + or - to zoom in or out
Drag map to move it
Battle of Pine Knob, June 15, 1864